Suji upma is a popular south Indian recipe, which uses semolina (rava) as the main ingredient. The semolina is made of wheat, hence is a healthier recipe. It is very fast to cook and is a filling breakfast!
Serving size: 2 people | Cooking time: 25 min | Cuisine: Indian
- Suji Rava (Wheat Semolina) Upma mix – 1 cup
- Onion – 1 medium size finely chopped
- Ginger – 1 tsp chopped pieces
- Green chilies – 4 small slit along length
- Cumin seeds – 2 tsp
- Mustard seeds – 2 tsp
- Curry leaves – 10
- Peanuts – 10 grounds
- Cashew nuts – 5
- Urad dal – 2 tsps
- Split chana dal – 3 tsps
- Water – 2 cups
- Oil – 2 tbsps
- Ghee – 1/2 tbsp
- Salt to taste - usually 1.5 tsps
Stage I: Roasted Rava preparation
Add the Semolina in a small skillet and roast it for 8 minutes on a low heat. Keep stirring it continuously and see that the Semolina doesn’t change the color. I would recommend this step even if you bought the roasted semolina directly from stores. After roasting is complete turn off the heat and keep it aside.
Stage II: Upma preparation
- Keep 2 cups of boiled water ready in a kettle. This hot water is used later.
- Add oil, cumin seeds, green chilies, peanuts, mustard seeds, split chana dal, cashew nuts, urad dal, and curry leaves in a large pan and temper it for 4 minutes on a medium heat.
- Add chopped onion, ginger, and salt. Heat it until onion turn semi-transparent.
- Now add the roasted semolina to the pan and mix it thoroughly for a minute.
- Pour the hot water into the pan while continuously stirring the content for 4 minutes.
- Add ghee, and mix the content thoroughly for another couple of minutes.
- You are done with the great tasty Upma. Serve it hot!