Red Kidney Beans (Rajma) is a highly nutritious protein rich food. It is also a good source of fiber. Rajma curry is a popular in north India, and is usually served with white rice, hence the term Rajma-chawal.
Serving size: 4 | Total time: 40 min | Cuisine: Indian
- 1 cup Red Kidney Beans (Rajma)
- 1 medium size Onion, finely chopped
- 2 large tomatoes, minced
- 4 green chilies, slit along length
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 2 tbsps extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- 3 cups water
- cilantro leaves for garnishing (as desired)
- salt to taste
- Soak the Red Kidney Beans (Rajma) overnight in 3 cups of water.
- Cook the red kidney beans (Rajma) in a small pressure cooker along with a teaspoon of salt for at least 3 whistles. Keep it aside.
- Add oil in a skillet, and heat it on medium heat.
- Add cumin seeds and green chilies. Saute for a couple of minutes
- Add in Onion. Saute it until onions turn semi-transparent.
- Add turmeric powder and ginger-garlic paste. Mix it well. Saute it until a nice ginger-garlic aroma is released.
- Add tomatoes, and saute it until the oil separates.
- Add the boiled Red Kidney Beans along with the water from the pressure cooker.
- Add salt to taste – remember the one teaspoon of salt is already added while boiling in pressure cooker. Cook for 5 minutes on medium heat.
- Add coriander powder, chili powder, and cumin powder. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Switch off the stove. Garnish the curry with finely chopped cilantro leaves.
- Enjoy it with hot rice. Serves 4.