Kanda Poha (Onion flattened rice) made of using flattened rice is quick and famous breakfast food in most parts of India. The flattened rice is now available in brown variety also. It is made of brown rice that’s healthier and tastes good too! You can use the flattened white Rice (White Poha) instead. Make sure to get thick flattened rice (thick poha). There is a thin variety too, and not suitable for beginners as it forms lumps of rice.
- Thick flattened brown rice (Thick Poha) – 1 cup
- Onion – 1 medium size finely chopped
- Oil – 2 tbsps
- Peanuts – 1 tbsp
- Curry leaves – 1 twig
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 0.5 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Green chili (Chili pepper) – 1 tbsp chopped
- Cilantro/Parsley – 2 tbsps chopped
- Lemon juice – half lemon
- Salt to taste
- Rinse the flattened Rice twice in cold water and strain it in colander. Make sure not to squeeze it too hard.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a medium sized skillet.
- Saute the peanuts til they are half done.
- Add cumin seeds, mustard seeds, curry leaves, and chili pepper one after the other. Saute for couple of minutes. The mustard seeds start sputtering.
- Add onion and saute it turns light golden brown.
- Add turmeric and salt to taste.
- Add the strained flattened Rice (Poha), and mix it thoroughly for 5 minutes.
- Turn off the heat.
- Add the lemon juice and mix it again.
- Garnish it with chopped parsley (cilantro) and serve hot!