Red Lentils with Greens (Masoppu Saaru) is a delicious south Indian recipe which is usually had with the Finger Millet (Ragi Mudde). You need a pressure cooker to prepare this recipe.
Serving size: 4 | Cooking time: 30 min | Cuisine: Indian
For cooking in a Pressure cooker
- Red Lentils – 1 cup
- Onion – 1 large chopped
- Methi (Fenu greek leaves) or any such greens – 3 to 4 cups leaves
- Ginger-garlic paste – 1 tbsp
- Green Chili (Serrano pepper) – 5 slit along length
- Coriander powder – 2 tsps
- Cumin powder – 2 tsps
- Tamarind concentrate – 1/2 tsp
- Coconut powder – 2 tbsps
- Salt to taste – usually 2 tsps
- Oil – 2 tbsps
- Mustard seeds – 2 tsps
- Cumin seeds – 2 tsps
- Curry leaves – 15
- Dried Red Chilies – 2 split in pieces
Stage I: Cooking Mashed Red Lentils (Dal) in a Pressure Cooker
- Add 3 cups of water in a pressure cooker and then add the ingredients listed in the “Pressure cooker” section.
- Close the cooker lid and cook on a medium heat for 3 whistles.
- Reduce the heat to low and let it cook for another 10 min.
- Turn off the heat and let the steam settle down.
- After the steam pressure is fully reduced, open the pressure cooker and mash the contents. You can use a hand blender for it.
- Add extra water as per your consistency needs.
Stage II: Tempering
- In a small skillet, add oil and ingredients listed under “Tempering” section.
- Heat it until the mustard seeds starts popping.
- Turn off the heat.
- Add the tempering contents over the mashed Red lentils (Dal).
- Mix it well and serve it in a bowl along with Ragi Mudde (Finger Millet).